KEY CHALLENGE: REAL-TIME CONTROL OF SURFACE ROUGHNESS
The measurement and control of surface roughness plays a crucial role in a large range of modern manufacturing processes. Surface roughness is often a direct indicator of product and process quality and it can also be an important customer specification for materials under production. Surface roughness may also correlate with other critical parameters such as adhesion.
The accurate measurement of surface roughness directly on production lines has previously been practically impossible.
SOLUTION FOR HIGH-SPEED PRODUCTION LINES: MicroProfilers MP900 and MP9000
FocalSpec’s optical non-contact on-line roughness measurement system allows for the automatic and laboratory-accurate measurement of surface roughness directly during actual production. MicroProfiler MP900 is designed for the measurement of cable and tube roughness, whereas MP9000 is for measuring roughness on webs, wind shields, metal slits and other flat surfaces. The system success is proven at line speeds up to 150m/min.
- Automatic and continuous on-line measurement of surface roughness and detection of roughness/quality deviations – no added labour needed
- Optical non-contact LCI measurement method
- Laboratory-level accuracy
- Performs well even at high line speeds
- Works on plastic, metal and transparent surfaces
- Direct support for surface roughness ISO standards
SIGNIFICANT ECONOMIC BENEFITS
- Improved product quality
- Material cost savings and optimized capacity utilization rate thanks to fast production control
- Reduction of customer complaints thanks to the early detection of deviations from customer-requested roughness range
FOR PLASTIC, METAL AND TRANSPARENT SURFACES
LCI technology works on plastic, metal and transparent/opaque surfaces. No calibration is needed for different surface materials.
The solution offers first-rate suitability for extrusion lines, moving webs (metal, paper, plastics…) as well as parts machining. Application examples include plastic cables and tubes, strips and films as well as metal parts.
LCI solutions perform well in practical manufacturing environments. Systems are robust, shock and vibration resistant and maintenance free. Integration to production lines and processes is easy. LCI measurement heads are not sensitive to measurement direction – surface roughness profile can be reliably measured, e.g., both perpendicular or parallel to the material flow.
MicroProfilers MP900 and MP9000 automatically generates quality reports and statistics of the roughness characteristics of entire production batches. An automatically generated quality report can be sent to the customer, e.g., in pdf format before shipping the batch.
Download MP900 brochure (pdf, opens in new window)
Download MP9000 brochure (pdf, opens in new window)
- Accurate optical non-contact surface roughness measurement method based on LCI technology
- Fast and easy to use
- For transparent and non-transparent materials
- Direct support for surface roughness related ISO standards