LINE CONFOCAL IMAGING
FocalSpec’s Line Confocal Imaging (LCI) is a unique and globally patented measuring technology that we developed to overcome the shortfalls of existing technologies. With the help of LCI our customers can carry out all measuring and testing on-line and get exactly the desired look&feel and quality for their products. Our technology applies even on transparent and mirror shiny materials or a combination of them at manufacturing line speeds. No specle noice, no interference. Sensors’ z-range is the most forgiving available allowing more freedom at industrial robotics selection.
HOW DOES LCI WORK?
LCI technology enables 2D and 3D measurement of various stationary and moving surfaces at a very high resolution. The LCI sensors use a measurement profile line with 2048 pixels, i.e. 2048 3D raw measurement data points are recorded simultaneously.
With a complex optical arrangement, white light emitting from a light source on a sensors transmitter side is split into a continuous spectrum with thousands of wavelengths. Each wavelength is focused on a plane with certain distance from the sensor. Depending on how far each of the 2048 surface point from the sensor is, the dominating wavelength for each point is reflected back to the sensor’s receiver.
- Amount of simultaneously measured points is 2048
- Maximum Z (height) resolution is 0.1µm
- Maximum lateral resolution is 2.2µm
- Maximum measurement profile line length is 16.4mm
- Maximum Z range is 5.5mm
- Maximum thickness measurement resolution is 0.1µm
- Minimum layer thickness for thickness measurement only is ̴ 30µm
- Maximum measurement speed is 2500 lines per second (2.5kHz)
- SPEED: LCI combines the world’s highest levels of accuracy with exceptional measuring speed. Up to 10 million points can be measured in a second.
- ACCURACY: LCI is the only non-contact technology that can measure submicron dimensions on moving items on-line. This is much more accurate than competing technologies, including laser.
- NO INTERRUPTIONS: LCI offers several unique advantages for non-contact on-line measurement and quality control systems without interruption to the production line – even at very high line speeds.
- SUPPORT FOR ALL SURFACE TYPES: LCI enables usage of a broader material range than ever before, from glossy to matte, to transparent. It performs well for all surface colors, and even on mixed surfaces.
- EASY TO INTEGRATE AND MAINTAIN: LCI measurement heads are robust and they perform well in practical manufacturing conditions. For example, there are no moving parts, and the systems tolerate dust and vibrations. Customers are also able to adjust the calculation and data analysis themselves.
- NEW POSSIBILITIES: LCI is the only technology that can measure burr height and cable roughness on-line. Before LCI, there has been no way to test medical device packages for security and sterility without destroying them.
LCI sensors can be used for example to measure roughness, thickness, step height, diameter, positioning, flatness, profile, gap and clearance or burr height. Our customers’ areas of interest can be such as extrusion, dispensing, cable roughness, quality of medical tubes and stents, inline bottle wall thickness, glass and plastics, metals and other high shiny materials, thin films and foils, molding or cut edge quality.